Home  Maps  About

Home > SubChat
 

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

 

view flat

Re: Tuscarora Almanac for November 20

Posted by William A. Padron on Fri Nov 20 16:35:58 2020, in response to Re: Tuscarora Almanac for November 20, posted by northshore on Fri Nov 20 15:47:07 2020.

The Board of Transportation, the agency that ordered the R-10 400 car fleet contract, as awarded to American Car and Foundry (a.c.f.), had originally wanted at first to split them between the IND and BMT Divisions. In the planning stages, cars #1803-1852 were said to go to the IND, while cars #3000-3349 would have gone to the BMT. Car #3000 was delivered in early 1949 sporting BMT route and terminal roll sign designations, as sent to Coney Island Yard.

As 1948 was coming forth, and with the first new deliveries of R-10 cars beginning to happen from August of that year and onward (to the last ones shipped in June 1949), the B.O.T. soon learned that new cars were needed for the new Pitkin Avenue extension of the IND Fulton Street Line in Brooklyn. That new addition to the NYCTS route network, opening eight days later on Sunday, November 28, had it extending "A" line service to Euclid Avenue.

Basically, the agency decided to make the "A" line, with its newer extension in particular, as the "showcase" route of the system, by sending all the new R-10 cars over there initially. However, there was an excess amount of them to the point that they would also show up on the "AA" and "BB" routes based out of Washington Heights. A good amount of the R-1 cars were then sent over to the BMT for use in service on the 4th Avenue Local service, and in being ready for its extension onto to the Astoria elevated line in October 1949.

And so it goes...

-William A. Padron
("Wash.Hts.-8th Av.Exp.")


Responses

Post a New Response

Your Handle:

Your Password:

E-Mail Address:

Subject:

Message:



Before posting.. think twice!


[ Return to the Message Index ]