|Beford Av (L) stop - going to get real wore (947637)|
|Home > SubChat|
Beford Av (L) stop - going to get real wore
Posted by Gold_12th on Thu Jun 24 03:57:09 2010Williamsburg expansion scares subway riders
Straphangers at Williamsburg’s Bedford Avenue L stop often have to let two or three overcrowded trains pass by before one arrives with enough room to board during the morning rush. Some even ride deeper into Brooklyn just to squeeze into a Manhattan-bound train.
Passengers now face another 1,100 riders each morning at the teeming station, expected to arrive with a $1.4 billion 2,200-apartment development at the 11.2-acre waterfront Domino Sugar factory.
“It’s only going to get worse,” area City Councilman Steve Levin said at a recent hearing on the project, noting the strain from other high-rises going up on the waterfront, including the Edge and Northside Piers.
Groups opposing the buildings want its developer — Community Preservation Corporation Resources — to shrink the project. Some want it to pay for a shuttle bus into Manhattan.
CPC Resources’ Susan Pollock said they’re exploring possible ferry service at the site. Plus, she emphasized, Domino would be built over 10 years.
- Bedford L overcrowding: 6.8 million weekday riders
- 4th busiest stop in Brooklyn
- Busiest stop serving a single subway line in Brooklyn
- 8th busiest single line station citywide, after four No. 6 stops, a No. 1 stop in Manhattan and two No. 7 stations in Queens
- Least chance of a seat among lines — ranked by the Straphangers Campaign