Home · Maps · About

Home > SubChat
 

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ Next in Thread ]

 

view flat

Tuscarora Almanac for August 15 and a Forgotten Station

Posted by irtredbirdr33 on Sat Aug 15 09:02:29 2026



Tuscarora Almanac for August 15 and a Forgotten Station


1872 – from The Book of First Runs

Passenger service on the 9th Avenue El is extended one stop from Dey Street to Morris Street. The el structure was already intact as far as No. 107 Greenwich Street which was the location of a cable driving vault.



1889 – from The Book of First Runs

The Fifth Avenue El in Brooklyn is extended from 9th Street to 25th Street.


1908 – from The Book of First Runs

The Hudson & Manhattan Railroad opens the 9th Street station on the 6th Avenue Line.


1994 – from The Book of Wrecks

A southbound "B" train derails on the West End Line south of the 38th Street Tunnel.
The consist of the train was (s) 4157-6, 4387-6, 4291-0, 4261-0, 4267-6. (All R-40's) Car 4260 was badly damaged with its side ripped open.

4260's nose and number plates went to the repair of 4461, the Willy B R40M Car that T/O Gibson was in when he was killed. 4461 was to return as a rebuilt 4260. The R40 Slant's original body was scrapped.

Stef added the following:

Car 4260's return to service never happened, and was sent to the FDNY Facility on Randall's Island.


The Tuscarora Book of Forgotten Stations No. 21 – Chestnut Street Incline

Brooklyn, New York
Brooklyn Rapid Transit Company

The Chestnut Street Incline was a connection between BRT Lexington Avenue El and the Long Island Railroad. The connection was located just to the west of Crescent Street station on what we known today as the BMT Jamaica Line. It ran south a few blocks to a junction with the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). This permitted through operation of BRT and LIRR between the Rockaways and the Broadway Ferry. It was in use from July 17, 1898 to September 3, 1917.
The original western terminus was at the East River at the Broadway Ferry Terminal. Service was extended across the Williamsburg Bridge to the Delancey Street Terminal (today’s Essex Street) on May 30, 1909 and finally to Chambers Street on August 4, 1913.

There was also a short lived service between the BRT and Jamaica Station on the LIRR. This service began on October 4, 1889 and was discontinued on January 10, 1899.

Source: ERA New York Division Bulletin / April 1968, article by Mr. David Rogoff

Larry, RedbirdR33




Responses

Post a New Response

Your Handle:

Your Password:

E-Mail Address:

Subject:

Message:



Before posting.. think twice!


[ Return to the Message Index ]