Home · Maps · About

Home > SubChat
 

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ Next in Thread ]

 

view flat

Tuscarora Almanac for August 5 and a Forgotten Station

Posted by irtredbirdr33 on Wed Aug 5 09:25:01 2026



Tuscarora Almanac for August 5 and a Forgotten Station


1895 – from The Book of First Runs

The Culver line is connected to the Fifth Avenue EL at 36th Street.


1919 – from The Book of First Runs

Eastern Parkway station on the Broadway-Brooklyn Line is opened.


1990 – from The Book of First and Last Runs

The late night subway Rt. 3 Lenox Terminal Shuttle is discontinued. A Route 3 Shuttle Bus is established between 135th Street and 148th Street with a stop at 145th Street. Free transfers are issued at 135th Street station and are valid on the M-7 and M-102 buses as well.



The Tuscarora Book of Forgotten Stations (and parts thereof) No. 18 – Chambers Street – Unused Platforms, Trackways and Mezzaine.

Today the Forgotten Station Express will make at stop at the Chambers Street on the BMT Centre Street Line. Although the station is still in use it is a maze of abandoned and unused trackways and platforms.


Chambers Street as built was a four track station with three island and two side platforms. The centermost platform and the side platforms were intended for the unloading of trains whereas the other island platforms were for the loading of passengers. The original plan was for trains from the Eastern Division to use the two westernmost tracks. The two eastern tracks would connect to the Southern Division via the tracks on the south side of the Manhattan Bridge.
South of the station the western tracks would turn east and connect to the el tracks on the Brooklyn Bridge. In order to facilitate this the south end of the western platform rises to a higher level than the eastern tracks in order to pass over them. This connection was actually built but tracks were not installed and it was never used. It is possible to see a part of this connection from the south end of the eastern platform.
The eastern tracks were to proceed south in a subway to be built under William Street.

Service to the two westernmost tracks from the Williamsburg Bridge began on August 4, 1913. Service to the eastern tracks began on June 22, 1915. This service pattern continued for the next sixteen years.

Service south of the Chambers Street finally began in 1931 running via Nassau Street instead of William Street. Also the Nassau Street tracks would connect to the outer tracks instead of just the two east tracks. The outer tracks were now for through service while the two center tracks would serve as terminal tracks.

The two side platforms were abandoned at an unspecified date. The easternmost platform remains intact. The westernmost side platform was destroyed in the early 1960’s when the platforms on the adjoining IRT Brooklyn Bridge station were extended northward.

The center platform began the terminal for the #10 Myrtle Avenue-Chambers Street trains. It remained in use until those trains (as the “M”) were extended south to Broad Street in 1968. Thereafter the platform was (and may still be) used intermittently during service disruptions.

The station was built with two mezzanines. The southernmost one remains in service. The north mezzanine was closed and a new one built further north between 1937 and 1938. The abandoned mezzanine was converted to a storage facility for the Municipal Building. Some of the stairways to this are still intact but sealed at the top.

As large as the station was the BRT had plans to add two more tracks on the eastern side of it. Provision for this was made in the form of two pockets in the east tunnel wall north of the station.

There was a room at the north end of the northbound platform. I do not know if this was a tower or a dispatchers office. Does anyone know?

Larry, RedbirdR33



Responses

Post a New Response

Your Handle:

Your Password:

E-Mail Address:

Subject:

Message:



Before posting.. think twice!


[ Return to the Message Index ]