|W.B.'s Bus Almanac for November 10th (326247)|
|Home > BusChat|
W.B.'s Bus Almanac for November 10th
Posted by W.B. on Fri Nov 10 06:00:31 2017
November 10, 1963 - The Book of Last Runs and Route Modifications
Manhattan, New York
Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority
Centre Street from Reade Street to Spring Street, Lafayette Street from Spring Street to 9th / 10th Streets, Fourth Avenue from 8th Street to 14th Street, and Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue) from Franklin Street to 34th Street - Herald Square are all converted to one-way northbound; while Broadway between 34th Street - Herald Square and 23rd Street - Madison Square, and between 14th Street - Union Square and Canal Street, becomes one-way southbound. Several MaBSTOA routes (descriptions as on side roll signs at the time) are affected by these changes, as follows:
- 1 (Park and Madison Avenues via 135th Street): South of 14th Street - Union Square, southbound buses now travel south on Broadway all through to its southern terminus at Park Row / City Hall.
- 2 (Park and Madison Avenues via 116th Street): Below 14th Street, southbound buses run south on Broadway to 4th Street, then east on 4th Street and north on the Bowery and Fourth Avenue to its 8th Street terminus.
- 2 (Fifth and Seventh Avenues) and 3 (Fifth and Convent or St. Nicholas Avenues): Southern terminus for both routes moved further east to 8th Street and Fourth Avenue. Northbound buses then go one block north on Fourth Avenue and then west on 9th Street / Wanamaker Place towards Fifth Avenue.
- 5 (Fifth Avenue / Riverside Drive): Southern terminus extended further south to Houston Street and West Broadway (La Guardia Place). This necessitates a change in route path south of Fifth Avenue and 8th Street: east on 8th Street, south on Broadway, west on Houston Street to its aforementioned terminus; then on northbound trips, further west on Houston to Sixth Avenue, north on Sixth, and then east on 8th Street to Fifth Avenue. This will prefigure the shifting of this route's northbound path to the rest of Sixth up to 57th Street upon the 1966 one-way conversions of Fifth and Madison Avenues. (Ironically, in Fifth Avenue Coach days, some runs of the 5 terminated at 8th Street and Fourth Avenue, traveling around the same route path at the start of its northern journey as the 2 and 3 do from this date onwards.)
- 5 (Sixth Avenue): Entire route discontinued and absorbed into . . .
- 6 (Broadway and Seventh Avenue) - which now runs north along Trinity Place, Church Street and Sixth Avenue for the entire northbound trek from the Battery to its 59th Street / Central Park South terminus. Route description changed first to "Broadway and Avenue of the Americas," then later to "Broadway, Seventh Avenue and Avenue of the Americas."
- 7 (Broadway, Columbus and Lenox Avenues): From its southern terminus at 23rd Street and Broadway, northbound buses now operate west on 23rd Street and then north on Sixth Avenue to the West 50's.
(Sources: "City to Extend One-Way Traffic To 3 Manhattan Routes Sunday; Broadway, Sixth Avenue and Lafayette Included—New Bus Patterns Also Due." The New York Times, November 5, 1963, p. 1, cont'd p. 61; " 'Village' to Get More Bus Runs; 15-an-Hour Scheduling on 5th Ave.-Houston St. Line Will Begin on Sunday." The New York Times, November 8, 1963, p. 33.)