| Tuscarora Almanac for August 17 and a Forgotten Station (1650266) | |||
|
|
|||
| Home > SubChat | |||
|
[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ] |
|
||
Tuscarora Almanac for August 17 and a Forgotten Station |
|
|
Posted by irtredbirdr33 on Mon Aug 17 11:15:58 2026 Tuscarora Almanac for August 17 and a Forgotten Station 1961 – from The Book of First Runs New escalators are placed in service at 161st Street-River Avenue between the IRT Jerome Avenue Line and the IND Grand Concourse Line. The use of paper transfers at this location is discontinued. The Tuscarora Book of Forgotten Stations No. 23 – Canarsie Landing Line Brooklyn, New York Brooklyn and Rockaway Beach Railroad Company The Brooklyn and Rockaway Railroad began operating between East New York and Canarsie Landing on October 21, 1865. Most of this route remains in service today, albeit with some modifications as the “L” train as far south as Rockaway Parkway. Service beyond that point ran on a private right-of-way to a station at Canarsie Landing on the north shore of Jamaica Bay. There were intermediate stations at Flatlands Avenue and Avenue L. Through service to the Canarsie Shore was cut back to Rockaway Parkway on August 5, 1919. El cars using trolley poles then ran a shuttle south of Rockaway Parkway. Trolley cars replaced the el cars on October 18, 1920 and continued running until November 22, 1942 when service on the R-O-W ended. Thereafter transfers were issued to the Rockaway Parkway trolley cars which ran parallel to the former right of way. These trolleys were replaced by buses on April 29, 1951. The final run was made by Peter Witt 8344. The bus route is designated B-42. Canarsie Landing was home at one time to the Golden City Amusement Park. It was also a connection point for ferries to the Rockaways. Source: ERA New York Division Bulletins June 1968, article by Mr. David Rogoff September 1998, article by Mr. Bernard Linder Larry, RedbirdR33 |