Home · Maps · About

Home > SubChat

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ Next in Thread ]


view flat

PHOTOS; Lunchtime at Strasburg

Posted by kp5308 on Tue Sep 14 22:45:36 2021

I visited some Lancaster County customers on September 10th and the Strasburg Rail Road was one of them. Of course a few photos HAD to be taken!

The Lancaster, Oxford & Southern #10 was built by the Sanders Machine Shop in 1915 as a 3’ gauge 30 seat passenger/baggage vehicle. It featured a gas engine, chain drive & coal stove heat. The diminutive car was first used on the LO&S narrow gauge in Southern Lancaster County. It operated for two years as a narrow gauge motor car before being converted to standard gauge in 1918. After being sold to numerous owners, this motor car was later purchased from the Grasse River RR in 1962 by Winston Gottschalk, one of the 25 Vice Presidents that invested $450.00 to purchase the Strasburg Rail Road back in 1958. It was operated on the Wolfeboro RR in New Hampshire during the ‘70s then leased to Lowell National Park in Massachusetts where it worked from 1980-1984. SRC removed the Chrysler 440 powerplant & TourqueFlite transmission in 2009 & installed a bio-diesel powerplant;
LOS 10

Ex-P&R #1055 (Harlan & Hollingsworth 1910) was used as a washroom for women employees at Wayne Junction Car Shop in Philadelphia from 1943 to 1967. Sold to Wanamaker Kempton & Southern in 1968; Traded to SRC for Chesapeake & Ohio boxcar in 1990, restored new in 1992 & named Susquehanna Valley. Refurbished in 2001, renumbered 92 & had the name shortened to just Susquehanna:
PR 92

This EMD was built as Santa Fe SW9 #2435 in November 1953. Rebuilt at San Bernardino shops as SSB1200 #1235 in February 1974. Retired in December 1984 and traded in on a GE order. Sold by GE to Celanese Corp of Narrows VA in June 1987. Acquired in operating condition by SRC in 2018:
SRC 1235

Roanoke 1950...a little tidbit is the 300 psi boiler pressure of #611 yields an indicated tractive effort of approximately 80,000 pounds, making the Class J the most powerful 4-8-4s to run for any railroad. According to 1955 Norfolk and Western records at normal passenger train operating speeds of from 40 to 60 miles an hour, a J could develop more tractive effort than a 6,000 horsepower set of diesels. Go to this site for more detailed information on a REAL legend of steam:
NW 611

The tool car for #611 was built by National Steel Car (Canada) in 1957...Ex-N&W, #9647 exx-Canadian National #624273, exxx-CN #9647, nee CN #9267 class BE-73-H:
VMTX 9647

From Pennsyrr.com: This business car was originally classed Z74; reclassified Z74R. Ordered from Pullman on Decembr 17, 1912, Lot 4129, Plan 2606. Built in March 1914. Renumbered to 7504 (#2) on May 7, 1914.Renumbered to 7510 (#1) on May 17, 1914. Renumbered to 7506 (#1) on May 31, 1917; named Illinois; assigned to the General Manager, Western Region, at Chicago. As of October 27, 1921, 3D5P3 trucks in use. Trucks exchanged to 3D5P3. As of October 1, 1929, assigned to General Manager (subject to call of V. P.-Chicago), based in Chicago. As of December 27, 1939, assigned to General Manager, Western Region, based in Chicago. Ice-activated air-conditioning installed at Altoona on July 29, 1941. Trucks from PB70 4875 installed at Altoona on March 24, 1948; new trucks are 3D7P2. Modernized at Altoona on December 31, 1952; new interior lighting included. As of February 10, 1952, assigned to General Manager, Western Region, based in Chicago. Sent to Altoona to be stored in 1957. Renumbered to 7506 (#1) in July 1957; named Harrisburg; assigned to System Pool, based in Philadelphia. As of September 1957, 3D7P2 truucks in use; assigned to Regional Manager, Philadelphia and New York. Moved to Altoona and stored under cover in October 1960. Windshield wipers installed on windows in observation end circa February 1964. To Penn Central on February 1, 1968 as 7503, Harrisburg, assigned to Pool Service, based in Philadelphia. Retired August 4, 1969. Sold to Jim Fay, Philadelphia. Sold to Bruce Hoffman, Cleveland, in December 1983. Sold to Hallowell Dunlap in October 1993, and renamed for owner's grandfather, Francis L. Suter. Arrived on Strasburg Rail Road on August 8, 1994. Rebuilt by Strasburg Rail Road, 1997-98. By June 1998, 2F-P1 trucks installed. Stored on the Strasburg Rail Road as Amtrak 800383. The 7503 is the oldest passenger car certified for Amtrak service and available for charter through http://www.privaterailcharters.com:
PRR 7503

Coach 20 was one of 10 coaches, numbered 11 thru 20, built for the Maryland and Pennsylvania RR by Jackson and Sharp of Wilmington, Delaware in 1913. The 20 is the only surviving Ma&Pa coach car, and the Strasburg’s only full wood frame passenger car. It, along with Baggage-Mail 35, was sold to the Baltimore Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society, and after a movie stint, went to the Strasburg RR in 1959 where it was equipped with a stove and named “Willow Brook”. During 1988 and 1989 it was completely rebuilt and was outshopped in January 1990, looking much like it did in 1913 with its new coat of Tuscan Red paint. In 2007 it was repainted and named “William M. Moedinger” to honor the Strasburg Rail Road Company founder and fifth company president (1971-1982):
MPA 20

The power for the round trips to Leaman Place was built at the original Baldwin Locomotive Works Philadelphia (PA) site in 1906. The 475 arrived in Strasburg in 1991 after the railroad purchased the locomotive for $100,000. After an approximate $640,000 extensive overhaul and restoration, the 4-8-0 "Mastodon" (N&W M Class) pulled her first passenger train on Strasburg’s 4 mile line in the fall of 1993. The engine presently is painted in the as delivered Norfolk and Western scheme:
NW 475


Post a New Response

Your Handle:

Your Password:

E-Mail Address:



Before posting.. think twice!

[ Return to the Message Index ]