|Re: Tuscarora Almanac for July 11 (1480736)|
|Home > SubChat|
Re: Tuscarora Almanac for July 11
Posted by W.B. on Wed Jul 11 08:54:48 2018, in response to Tuscarora Almanac for July 11, posted by IRTRedbirdR33 on Wed Jul 11 05:16:01 2018.After this and the next set of "bustitutions" of old TARS lines which would take place on Aug. 22, there were at that point four of five "pending" bus conversions that, in that form, never took place (and one proposed "bustitution" never happened at all in any form). They were:
- Bx-43 - Broadway-Yonkers (reported Route 3; would be bustituted Nov. 2, 1952 under Yonkers Transit Corp. [ex Yonkers Railway Co.] aegis, separated by that point from Third Avenue Transit Corporation which was still in the throes of bankruptcy)
- Bx-44 - Jerome Avenue (never converted at all that I know of)
- Bx-46 - Fifth Avenue/Mount Vernon (would be "bustituted" as Westchester Street Transportation and/or Westchester Electric Railway Route C on Dec. 17, 1950)
- Bx-47 - Mount Vernon-Subway ("bustituted" as WST/WER Route B on Dec. 17, 1950)
- Bx-48 - New Rochelle-Subway ("bustituted" as WST/WER Route A on Dec. 17, 1950)
Never accounted for, in documents of the Public Service Commission from which I drew the proposed Bx-48 line, was what would have been Bx-45. Evidently after Aug. 22, 1948, no further "bustitutions" of TARS streetcar lines under STS aegis with said Bx- numbers occurred, doubtless due to the massive financial difficulties engulfing the company that culminated in its declaring bankruptcy on June 21, 1949.
As for TB, it proved to be the only NYC Omnibus route that was neither a "bustitution" of an old New York Railways trolley line, nor taken over from another company (i.e. the four crosstown routes NYCO took over in June from Green Bus Lines, or their August 1940 takeover of two former Triangle Bus routes).