|Re: Hudson River rail tunnel project has new name, but same concerns over funding (1162449)|
|Home > SubChat|
Re: Hudson River rail tunnel project has new name, but same concerns over funding
Posted by Joe V on Mon Jun 18 16:43:51 2012, in response to Re: Hudson River rail tunnel project has new name, but same concerns over funding, posted by WillD on Sun Jun 17 23:31:48 2012.Your credibility is down to about zero.
1) NJTBO has been around since the beginning, they are 75% of NJT's customers, and will be around forever. Your beloved NYPS can't aborb a 200% increase in traffic. You opinion of "not sustainable" is ridiculous.
2) There will be no mass exodus from McMansions and suburban town homes into transit villages just to ride a choo-choo train. A couple of hundred new apartments in Somerville won't fill one coach on one train, and the surrounding Bridgewater has 45,000 residents.
3) The #7 already handles east-west passengers off the buses to GCT. They can get on them sooner. There are not net additions to the system.
4) I have the quarterly ridership and revenue pdf's - you don't.
5) Gateway project costs $15B, which is 4 tracking the whole NEC between Newark and Manhattan. If you are assuming the costs of that including NYPS-South and twin Portal Bridges, you are dumber than I thought. You are simply creating numbers to reach your conclusions.
6) #7 stations in Manhattan handled far more passengers during WWII and the Worlds Fair than they do today.
7) Your prohibition of transfers to rapid transit at anywhere except the Manhattan rail terminal is 1910 thinking. You should be distributing people on multiple access points. You can't get it thru you skull that the destination is WORK, not NYPS.
8) Mayor Bloomberg has not dismissed it. Your folk hero Lhota has, but he is a proven idiot, reinforced by the nonsense he spoke of here. He has no clue as to how his subsidiary LIRR or NYPS operates:
9) "distribute NJT and LIRR commuter trains" is physically and financially impossible. You sound like one of hapless idiot planners from RPA or Voorhees with no patience for details or reality.
Again, you are focused on playing choo-choo, not moving people.